Wacky Rail Fence Quilt
Quilt size: 39 by 48 inches.
This scrap friendly quilt can be made with many different fabrics for a scrappy look or with fewer fabrics. This is a great way to use up some leftover fabric.
40" usable fabric width assumed.
Fabric and Cutting:
|Blocks||52 rectangles||Cut rectangles 5¼" by 6¼".|
|Inner Border||¼ yard.||
Cut four strips that are 2" wide by the width of the fabric.
|Outer Border||5/8 yard.||
Cut four strips that are 5" wide by the width of the fabric.
Cut five strips 2½" wide by the width of the fabric.
- Stack 6 rectangles of 6 different fabrics.
- Make 2 cuts across the rectangle between the two longer sides. Make the cuts at an angle to the sides. Each set of blocks will be a little different.
- Rearrange the 3 stacks of pieces as follows:
- Move the bottom piece of fabric in the left hand stack (stack A) to the top of the stack.
- Move the top piece of fabric in the right hand stack (stack C) to the bottom of the stack.
- Using the top piece from each stack, stitch piece B to piece A and piece C to piece B. Match the top and bottom edges of the pieces 1/4" away from the right edge, i.e., at the seam line.
- Repeat last step for the remaining 5 layers of fabric.
- Press blocks and trim to 5" square.
- Repeat steps 1 through 6 until 4 rectangles remain.
- Repeat steps 1 through 6 using a stack of 4 rectangles (instead of 6). These 4 blocks will be the corner blocks.
You should have 52 pieced blocks.
Assemble Quilt Top
- Arrange the blocks in 8 rows of 6 blocks. Stitch the blocks together. Top should be 27½" by 36½" at this point.
- Stitch an inner border strip to the 2 longer sides of the quilt top. Press seams toward border strips and trim to exact length.
- Stitch an inner border strip to remaining 2 sides of the quilt top. Press seams toward border strips and trim to exact length. Top should be 30½" by 39½".
- Measure width of quilt top (i.e., short sides) and record as Measurement X.
- Stitch an outer border strip to the 2 longer sides of the quilt top. Press seams toward border strips and trim to exact length.
- Cut remaining 2 outer border strips so the length is equal to Measurement X, recorded above. Stitch a corner block to each end of these border strips. Press seams toward border strips.
- Stitch an outer border strip with corner blocks to remaining 2 sides of the quilt top, matching seams at edge of corner blocks. Press seams toward border strips.
- Option 1 - Layer the backing, batting and top and baste. Quilt or tie as desired. Bind your quilt and you are done.
- Option 2 - finish with the pillowcase method and skip the binding. Layer the batting, backing (right side up) and top (wrong side up). Sew through all 3 layers around the outside of the quilt top using a ¼" seam. Leave about 8" unsewn along one edge. Trim the back and batting even with the edge of the top. Turn the quilt right side out. Sew the opening shut and top stitch about ¼" from the outer edge all the way around. Quilt or tie as desired.